Thursday, May 26, 2011

Excited fan base? Good for at least a few wins.

For years and years, the one topic that has gotten me in the most hot water on the message boards is my criticism of the fan base.  I don't typically start the threads, but I certainly throw my two cents in,  and it tends to get people fired up.  

Bottom line, I don't think enough people go to the games.  I don't like the overall lethargy of a lot of the people that do show.  I make no bones about it.  Is it that I am unrealistic in my expectations?  Probably.  I can't help that.  What really irks me to the core is that showing up to the games and cheering loudly and energizing your team is the one thing you can do as a fan to have an influence on winning and losing.  Yet if the Cavaliers suffer a tough loss, the same guys who sat on their thumbs will be the first to start running their mouths about how bad we suck.  It drives me absolutely bonkers.  I really don't think the average fan really understands how much of an impact the crowd has.  Basketball is a game of runs triggered by confidence and emotion.  The energy in that crowd severely impacts players in both capacities and fuels the runs.  

Let me ask you this.  Do you think Virginia would have gone 14-1 at home in 2006-07 if we were still in Uhall?  What was it that really got a team that was picked to finish 8th in the ACC over the hump that season?  As special as that Reynolds/Singletary back court was, I honestly feel the difference was that building.  We opened our new palace by riding an absolutely raucous sold out crowd to an 18 point second half comeback win against the number 10 ranked team in the nation.  That win set the tone for the season, took the players confidence to the next level, and fans continued to file in the doors wanting a taste of victory.  There is no doubt in my mind that the energy in that building was worth 2 to 3 wins that season.  Would 9-7 or 8-8 in the league even have gotten us in the NCAA tournament?  Crazy to think about considering we were a 4 seed, but we earned that seed by sharing the regular season ACC title.  Take away a couple wins, our resume starts to look awfully sketchy.  

Fast forward to today.  Even before the Justin Anderson commitment, the buzz around Cavalier hoops is growing.  The basketball message boards have been amazingly active considering the time of year.  National writers are taking notice and predicting a rise in the standings.  Fans believe we are starting to turn the corner and optimism is high.  What intrigues me the most out of all of it is the fact that this should lead to more asses in the seats.  The team may actually get the support it deserves, and the crowds at JPJ could once again will the team to a couple wins that otherwise may have slipped away.  It's just another piece of the puzzle I see coming together this season.  The most complete roster in a decade, a smart well coached team, an enthused fan base.  It's really hard to not be optimistic right now.


** A couple disclaimers on this post.  First, I completely understand that fans on the message boards or most that would read this blog are not the folks that are the problem attending or being enthusiastic at games.  Also, I absolutely realize that it is a lot easier for me to attend games living in Richmond than it is for a lot of you.  I am not claiming to be a better fan than you, I am simply adamant that the team deserves more support, even when we aren't competing for ACC titles.


Second, I wrote this before the Anderson commitment.  Obviously, an elite talent like Justin brings an entirely new perspective to the table.  He has the kind of athleticism, flair, and swagger that people will buy tickets to see, and it only helps fuel my anticipation for a rocking John Paul Jones Arena for the future of Virginia basketball.**

1 comment:

  1. This is possibly the worst blog post I have ever read. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

    Just kidding.

    -06millerwahoo

    ReplyDelete