Saturday, March 26, 2011

In Tony I trust, let me count the ways..

Let me be clear about this from the beginning.  I’m a Tony Bennett guy.  I’ve been a Tony Bennett guy for years. On that fateful day when most of my UVA brethren were up in arms over the hire, I was grinning from ear to ear and promising my wife a return to glory.  How was I so familiar with him?  Not because I have any deep rooted basketball connections.  I owe it more to severe sleeping problems.  Since I struggled mightily to shut down at night, and being an absolute college basketball junkie, I watched a ton of west coast basketball.  I watched Bennett’s 06-07 team a few times early in the season, and not only did I find myself pulling for them, I couldn’t stop watching.  Thanks to the college hoops package, I think I watched that team play a dozen or so games that season.

I loved the system and the way it was executed.  I loved that no matter how hard opponents tried to impose their will, it was Bennett’s bunch that controlled the flow of the game.  Never once did I think the basketball I was watching was boring.  I saw a defense that flat out wore teams down and an offense that took care of the ball and took quality shots.  I saw kids giving it their all.  My buddies got tired of hearing me talk about them and subsequently picking them to go way too far in the NCAA tournament.  These same buddies were texting me after he was hired in disbelief that Virginia had randomly hired the guy they always heard me blabbering about.

I start with this disclaimer because what you are about to read is a diatribe on exactly why I think we are on the precipice of sustained success in the ACC, and its not because I am one of those eternally optimistic fans that simply wants to believe.  Quite the contrary at this point as a hardened UVA fan.  It’s because I believe in the system and I believe in the man.  What I am seeing on the court, regardless of wins and losses, is a burgeoning process that is only a few pieces away from looking like those Washington State teams of 06 through 08.  Here are some reasons why I believe he will be successful.

#1 - He's done it before.

My boss recently asked me which of our new coaches in the revenue sports did I believe had a better chance of getting us to the ‘promise land’.  He seemed surprised how quickly I said Bennett and asked for an explanation. Obvious answer, your turning a roster of 13 instead of 85.  One special talent can have a much more immediate effect on wins and losses.  But there is one major thing separating the two.  Bennett has done it before.  After helping his Dad lead Wisconsin to the final four, he was the top assistant and lead recruiter for him at WSU, a massive rebuilding project to say the least.   This was a program that had become a mockery in the Pac-10 after the departure of Kelvin Sampson and is notoriously difficult to recruit to.  The Bennett’s came in, secured what would turn out to be the best recruiting class in school history, and implemented a system that allowed you to be competitive without world class athletes.  The program was then turned over to Tony as that class became juniors, and after adding a few other pieces, the Cougars won 26 games in two consecutive seasons.  Tony was named national coach of the year.

It all went down eerily similar to the way things have started in Charlottesville.  At WSU, Dick came in, hung onto a couple of recruits Paul Graham had secured, and doubled the win total from the prior season.  The team made significant improvement but had some attrition as it was obvious that a few of the hangovers were not a good fit for the system.  Dick Bennett isn’t going to keep guys around that don’t fit.  This left room for a large class, and in year two the aforementioned six man class was brought in that became the core of the program. Two years of development later, the team was a three seed in the NCAA’s.

Sound familiar?  Tony comes in to Cville, hangs onto Jontel Evans and Tristan Spurlock.  The team plays surprisingly well early in the season, but some forthcoming attrition issues contribute to a late season collapse. The roster loses three early departures to go along with two graduating seniors.  Bennett brings in a six man class that is rated top twenty nationally in year two.  We may have lost one of those of six, but five guys remain that will be the core of this program moving forward.  Three played very significant roles their freshman year.  Littlepage and Oliver went out and got someone that played an integral role in turning a fledgling power conference program into a national contender.  It wasn't by accident.

#2 - The system

In the end, you have to have top tier talent.  No question about it.  But in a league and region where we are recruiting and playing against the juggernauts of college basketball, you aren't consistently going to have the edge on talent alone.  That's just unrealistic.  If you can't always run with the big dogs, you don't stay on the porch.  You outsmart the big dogs.  You care more than the big dogs.  You give the big dogs something they aren't used to seeing and make them play your way.  That's why I love a true defense first coach and a system like the pack-line.  The emphasis on transition defense helps neutralize a lot of the athleticism in the ACC.  The post double, which I think was amazingly effective this past season, is a thing of beauty when a Bennett team executes it correctly and it can completely overwhelm talented post players.  I love making offenses work their tail off for quality looks and using the shot clock as a sixth man. 

I'm such a fan of this defense, I spent a lot of time learning it and even rolled it out to a private school team I help coach. (Thanks to the legendary Cvillehoops13 who helped me out)  I am now a pack-line disciple and find my blood boiling when we don't get back on defense, give up baseline, or allow a post entry pass from the top of the key.  (The latter has happened like 3 times in two years.) 

It's not perfect.  No matter how much you emphasize closing out, you are still allowing more space off the ball on the perimeter.  Guys are going to be able to squeeze off perimeter jumpers and at this level players can get smoking hot in a second.  I still prefer contested three point shots over baby hooks and slashing layups.  I know it seemed like teams were just unconscious against us early in the year.  Frankly, it was part absolute fluke and part inexperience.  This defense takes game experience to really perfect, to get a good feel for moving in the space and helping correctly.  Once Tony has his guys in the system for a number of years and they gain more and more experience, the defense will only improve.

Offensively, we saw a lot more of the Bennett staple blocker/mover this year than we did last, but we were far from good.  In my opinion, a lot of it had to do with the personnel we were left with after injuries.  The entire offense was running through Mike Scott early in the season.  Will Sherill was a quality 'blocker' and stretched defenses.  Sammy wasn't an offensive factor until the final weeks.  All three guys were missing at times and our offense was extremely stagnant as we didn't have a post presence, our wings couldn't create off the dribble, and we severely lacked aggression outside of Mustapha Farrakhan.  

Brighter days are ahead on that end of the floor.  As mentioned above, Bennett's best teams at WSU were efficient offensively and the model of soundness. I loved watching them operate.  They weren't scoring 90, but shot selection was the best I have ever seen, and they were selfless and balanced.  When blockers were working hard, gaps would open up and guys would take advantage.  As soon as next year, when we are no longer one dimensional and the youngsters learn to be more aggressive, you will see a significant improvement in our offense and there will be contributions from all positions on the floor.

Don't believe the crap you heard about this system not being able to hang in the ACC.  It's what will allow us to hang.   Period. 

#3 - Recruiting

The guy can recruit.  No doubt about it in my mind.  Not only he is getting kids that fit his system, he is getting phenomenal people that are willing to be selfless and put in the work.  He moved across the country into a region that he has never recruited and secured a top twenty class.   A top 50 player committed without even seeing the campus for Pete's sake.  People wondered if he could hold his own recruiting in the ACC.  I think he can.  I know it's early and people say it is easier to recruit during your honeymoon period because you can sell a new future.  I believe things are shaping up nicely for Tony's recruiting success to only get better.

#4- Player Development

Does much need to be said here?  The improvement of guys like Sene, Sherrill, Meyinssee, Evans, Farrakhan etc. has to be evident to even casual fans.  In Sene's case, his late season emergence was flat out remarkable.  This isn't a fluke, guys consistently got better under Bennett at WSU, and frankly he has a much better staff and conditioning coach here than he did over there.  It's not just skill and conditioning that will improve, their ability within the system will improve also.

#5- The Staff

From top to bottom this is the best staff we have had.  I am not sure most fans will ever truly appreciate what Ritchie McKay brings to the table, and Bennett really did hit the 'home run' he claimed in that early presser.  This is a guy with 13 years of head coaching experience with a broad spectrum of knowledge on both sides of the ball.  It's essentially like having another head coach available to free Tony up whenever he needs it.  Ron Sanchez is under valued as a recruiter.  Jason Williford and Mike Curtis are quality individuals that know what it takes to win at this University.  Collectively this is a great staff and I sure hope Tony can hold them together.


When I think back to that 2006-07 season in which I first got a heavy dose of Tony Bennett, I can't help but be reminded of the blind optimism I had because of the magical season our Hoos were having as well.  Dave Leitao's first two teams had somehow overachieved despite a sometimes overwhelming lack of cognitive team basketball ability.  It's easy to understand now how the outstanding play of two absolute play-making guards can mask all kinds of coaching deficiencies.  I must admit that at that point I was blinded by wins and rocking crowds and despite how much I enjoyed watching Washington State games, the last thing on my mind was any inclination that we didn't already have the right guy on the sideline.  It wasn't long into the following season that my opinion quickly turned.  The next two seasons were an unwatchable blur of poor execution, extreme low confidence, lack of player development, and a myriad of other problems that just screamed sinking ship.  I was pleased that Littlepage recognized his mistake early and made a move. 

I know as fans we are so tired of hearing about next year.   I know most of you are in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.   That being said, I do firmly believe that if we can manage to stay healthy, we have an opportunity at a very special season next year.  I plan on diving a lot deeper into exactly why later on this off-season, but I think we will be back in the NCAA tournament.  But in my opinion next season is not going to be the true barometer for Tony Bennett.  What will happen the following year?  What will the team do with a full complement of Bennett recruited players?  How will this team grow beyond Mike Scott?

I believe we are primed for sustained success.  There will be bumps in the road, tough losses and transfers.  But I have said this multiple times, I believe the Tony Bennett hire is the best hire in my lifetime by the athletic department.  (I'm 30 for the record)  I think what he brings to the table, as a coach, recruiter, and man is exactly what this University needed to become relevant in the ACC again.  He recruits talented, high character kids.  He coaches a system that allows you to be competitive against superior talent.  His players believe in themselves and their teammates.

I don't need 90 points and transition dunks.  I need wins and respect.  Tony will earn us both.


PS.  Just wanted to make one last note.  Despite all this,  I do not believe Tony is perfect.  Nobody is.   There are things he can improve on and things I question.  When I review the roster, he will get reviewed as well, and I will discuss some things that I think Tony Bennett struggles with.









No comments:

Post a Comment